Tuesday, July 27, 2010

She named her 'Kembang Semangkuk'



On one of my occasional trips home to visit my mother and sister in my home town, Sungai Petani in the northern state of Kedah, I saw her ― for the first time.

Was I surprised to be arrogantly greeted by those eyes which, at a glance, appeared as if, wanting to pierce and tear down my whole heart?

Or was I actually more excited, astonished to see her in my home?

“Goodness gracious! What a beauty she is.” I thought. Indeed such a rare breed she was to be in our midst.

I could still remember those eyes. Those sharp sparkling eyes that lit up her whole facial anatomy. Imagine their luminosities under the cover of darkness.

“Careful, don’t get too close to her.” my mother warned me, as I was approaching her. In spite of her, sort of, cool uncaring reception I was not disappointed, what more upset. Her attitude did not in any way intimidate me. I kept telling myself, just look at those ‘marbled’ eyes, sharp, shining and alert.

My sister named her ‘Cik’ (The Small One) but it was Nadhirah, my daughter who renamed her Kembang Semangkuk.

2.0 "Brother, she is no more with us!"

Last Friday the 23rd of July 2010, those were the words of my sister: Kembang Semangkuk is gone.

“I tried my best. We took to the vet twice. It was too much for her.” I could see she tried very hard to conceal those misty eyes.

The Local Council personnel just sprayed weed killer around our compound. Kembang Semangkuk― like most cats, cleaned their bowels by chewing grass.

“Mama is still very upset. She weeps every time a neighbour visits her to see how her swollen knee is doing.”
My sister has a few more cats under her care, but undoubtedly Kembang was somewhat special.

She was a stray cat ‘brought back’ by ‘Adik’ (The Little Sister).
Was Kembang Semangkuk similar to ‘Dewey’? (By Vicki Myron http://www.HachetteBookGroup.com)


Yes, we all, especially my mother and sister, had shared the sweet memories with Kembang Semangkuk.


ps:

‘Kembang’ is Malay for ‘bloom’. It also means ‘flower’. Mangkuk is the Malay word for ‘bowl’
So was Kembang Semangkuk the ‘Blooming Bowl’ of our family, especially my mum?

Actually ― I missed her too.



2 comments:

Phuah said...

My daughter also lost one of her lovely cats three weeks ago. He belongs to the same breed of Kembang Semangkuk. We still miss him a lot too !!!

My daughter has a blog on her cats as belows ;

http://psharlene.blogspot.com/

Just Sharlene and the Spice Cats said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. I talk to my cats all the time and they always respond. Ginger loves to chat and will not leave me alone until I spend some time talking to her everyday.

Sesame has a very special place in my heart as I have loved him since he was born. I will always remember the beautiful moments he brought to my house.

May Sesame and Kembang Semangkuk be happy in the Rainbow Bridge......