Friday, February 5, 2010

SodUmny II

How ordinary mortals have been …


‘Yes, ordinary mortals indeed, we are. But for goodness sake, never count ourselves out.’


When miserable, those words keep on ringing. And since those days, I keep on consoling myself that this madness is just temporary. Yes, it would be temporary! Yes, it would be temporary; I pleaded myself to believe that somehow this would end, sometimes. And that was 1998, when I was in the north in one Project Office. For me the whole situation then has really turned topsy-turvy; creating that emotional chaotic imbalance within oneself. I had asked myself then, is it ‘neurosis’ a sort of? Or it is just a temporary surge of anger that runs deep, from within?



Then one day, they finally put Lim Guan Eng behind bars for defending that Malay girl in Melaka, I drove home to Jitra in tears. My son, who was then attached to the Alor Setar General Hospital for his three months practical training, had to walk back! I have forgotten that I have a son to pick up on my way home. Yes, neurosis it was. The chaotic madness then was not too easy to comprehend. For me the story line, the plot would not even fit Satre or Camus or the likes. Ours, our real-life performances are a class of their own; uniquely Malaysian master pieces not found anywhere on this planet. Ours, our Malaysian performances are much more too complex and horrific to fit into any established literary theories. Our plots are weird, rare and scary for any known human civilisation.



Today, 11 years later, we Malaysians, yes the inhabitants of this part of the planet are again being coaxed by those who control this land, to enjoy the absurd again. Lest you miss the details, the director has since changed (?). However, incidentally he too was once trained in a college called Sodomy, a prestigious one from the Land of the Possible.


How would one classify this present episode? Does it fit a certain description, such as a completely horrible state of nihilistically helpless drowning regime?


These keep on barraging, pounding upon me. They just would not simply dissipate. That burning load of anger, anguish, pain, misery keeps on coming…


We, yes we Malaysians, the ordinary mortals of this beloved land, have again been sodomised by a regime that held this land since 1957.


No comments: